Cover letter examples by industry
A good cover letter highlights the specific skills employers are looking for. Check out these cover letter examples for a variety of industries.
A great cover letter will show that you're the right candidate.
If you're wondering how to write a cover letter, you're in the right place! It doesn't matter what level you're at in your career—to get noticed by potential employers, your professional cover letter needs to knock their socks off. Your cover letter is much more than friendly greeting; it's a tool that lets hiring managers know that you're the candidate they've been hoping for.
Recruiters and hiring managers have seen every type of cover letter format imaginable. For maximum wow-factor, you must build a cover letter that highlights your industry-specific experience, accomplishments, and credentials.
Steps to write a cover letter
- Start with the proper greeting: Address your cover letter to the person who will be reading it.
- Introduce yourself with an opening: Write a personable, inviting opening paragraph that highlights how your skills are a perfect fit to the company and position.
- Get them interested with a compelling hook: Highlight your past achievements as they relate to the job you're applying for.
- Promote your skills: Highlight your additional relevant skills, such as computer languages or certifications.
- Thank them in the close: Briefly recap your strengths as a candidate, thank the reader for their time, and include your contact information.
If you need cover letter help, check out these cover letter templates for various careers and career levels in the following industries:
Administrative/Support Cover Letter Examples
Art/Design/Media Cover Letter Examples
Business Cover Letter Examples
Education Cover Letter Examples
Engineering Cover Letter Examples
Finance/Accounting Cover Letter Examples
Health Care Cover Letter Examples
Human Resources Cover Letter Examples
Job Search Cover Letter Examples
Law Enforcement and Legal Cover Letter Examples
Marketing and PR Cover Letter Examples
Military Cover Letter Examples
Nurse Cover Letter Examples
Restaurant and Hospitality Cover Letter Examples
Retail Cover Letter Examples
Sales Cover Letter Examples
Science Cover Letter Examples
Student Cover Letter Examples
Technology Cover Letter Examples
Trades Cover Letter Examples
Transportation and Warehousing Cover Letter Examples
Help hiring managers find your cover letter
When your cover letter is in good shape, don't let it just sit on your computer. You need to get it out there! Could you use a little help getting your cover letter in front of hiring managers? Join Monster today. As a member, you can upload up to five versions of your resume and cover letter—each customized to the kinds of jobs you're interested in. Recruiters search Monster every day looking to fill top jobs with qualified candidates, just like you. Make it easier for them to find you, and for you to find a job.
I'm always pushing job seekers to use a relaxed tone in their cover letters. But sometimes a formal cover letter is the right way to go. This is one of those times.
Andrew's Cover Letter for My Review
Andrew sent me this cover letter sample, asking for my help with his entry-level job search.
With this covering letter and attached resume, I would like to express my interest in obtaining employment for an entry-level job position. I submit my qualifications and interest in working with your reputed institution. I have a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) Degree in Accounting from the African Methodist Episcopal University. It is often said that to operate effectively within a financial environment, one must be tenacious, analytical, and highly dedicated. I want to obtain a full position in a banking institution that will utilize my analytical and financial background. I can assure you that if given this opportunity, I would be pleased to apply my competencies to add value as a member of your team. I would relish the challenge of working for such a high-profile institution and admire your commitment to customer service.Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to you to arrange an interview.
Enclosures: Resume and References.
My Take on Andrew's Rather Formal Cover Letter
I really like the polite tone of your cover letter. Thank you for sharing it with us.
I have a few comments that I hope will make it a bit better.
- Although it was once common to start a letter with "Dear Sir/Madam" it is now considered old-fashioned. It would be better to start with "Dear Hiring Manager" or "Dear Manager."
- The word "reputed" seems a little too much (almost like flattery). I suggest you delete that word.
- It would be good to make a new paragraph with the sentence "It is often said...".
- Perhaps you could say "I would like to obtain..." instead of "I want to obtain...". It's just a little more gentle.
- See how it looks if you make another new paragraph with the sentence, "I can assure you...".
- In the same sentence, I suggest you delete "be pleased to" and "apply my competencies to" so it reads: "I can assure you that if given this opportunity, I would add value as a member of your team."
- In the next sentence, the word "relish" is not quite right. I suggest using "welcome" instead. Also, I suggest using "would uphold" instead of "admire."
- The last sentence needs help. Here's another way to close your letter: "I would very much appreciate the opportunity of a job interview."
The overall tone of your letter is bit formal, but I think it is appropriate given your field. It also hints that you are from a non-American culture. If I'm correct about this, then the tone of your letter is very good. If you want to sound more American (not something I'm pushing for) then think about rewriting the whole thing with a more relaxed tone.
A Quick Rewrite of Andrew's Cover Letter Sample
I took a stab at rewriting your cover letter, using the points above and making a few more edits. Here you go.
With this cover letter and attached resume, I would like to express my interest in obtaining employment for an entry-level position at ____ (name of firm). I have a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree in Accounting from the African Methodist Episcopal University.
It is often said that to operate effectively within a financial environment, one must be tenacious, analytical, and highly dedicated. I can assure you that as a member of your team, I would bring these attributes to your firm. I would welcome the challenge of working for such a high-profile institution and would uphold your commitment to excellent customer service.
Thank you for your consideration. I would very much appreciate the opportunity of a job interview.
Enclosures: Resume and References
I think this version keeps your formal tone while making your message a little more streamlined. I hope it helps you land that entry-level job you're looking for.
More Sample Cover Letters
Want to see more sample cover letters?