Sanskrit Wikipedia logo
Screenshot of Sanskrit Wikipedia's Main Page as of January 2005
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Available in||संस्कृतम् (Sanskrit)|
|Created by||Sanskrit wiki community|
|Launched||December 2003; 14 years ago (2003-12)|
|Creative Commons Attribution/|
Share-Alike 3.0 (most text also dual-licensed under GFDL)
Media licensing varies
Sanskrit Wikipedia (Sanskrit: संस्कृतविकिपीडिया) (also known as sawiki) is the Sanskrit edition of Wikipedia, a free, web-based, collaborative, multilingualencyclopedia project supported by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation. Its five thousand articles have been written collaboratively by volunteers around the world, with major concentration of contributors in India and Nepal.
Founded in December 2003, it reached five thousand articles by August 2011.
The Sanskrit Wikipedia Community also participated in a project named Tell us about your Wikipedia, and Community news from Sanskrit Wikipedia also came on WikiPatrika, a community-written and community-edited newspaper, covering stories, events and reports related to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation sister projects in India.
As of August 2016, it has 10,177 articles and is the 132th largest version of Wikipedia.The Times of India considered that "Sanskrit was making a comeback, thanks to Wikipedia community"Mother India considered the Sanskrit Wikipedia as a "wonderful learning tool"
One of the earliest snapshots of the home page, dated 1 June 2004, can be seen at the earlier archives of Sanskrit Wikipedia. The earliest article still available on Sanskrit Wikipedia's site is apparently Damana dīva, dated July 9, 2004, however the first article was made on March 21, 2004.
The number of articles dropped from the 1,000-article mark to only 600 in August 2005 after nearly half were deleted; many of the deletions were due to the articles being in English. The Sanskrit Wikipedia reached 9,405 articles as of December 12, 2013.
Collaboration with Samskrita Bharati
Sanskrit Wikipedia has a collaboration with Samskrita Bharati, a non-profit organisation working to revive Sanskrit. The collaboration efforts started in the Wikipedia Academy organized in Bangalore on Jan 23, 2010. That Wikipedia Academy was also the first in India.
There were 11 Sanskrita Bharathi participants at the Academy. They were introduced to Wikipedia and contributing to Wikipedia content and were helped in this by a team of roughly 3 Wikipedians.
Later the first Sanskrit Wiki workshop was held in Sanskrit Bharati's office at Bangalore for an audience of 20 participants. The presentation was intended to give a basic working knowledge of Wikipedia and its interface.
A second workshop was held at the same location on March 26, 2011 for another 15 participants from software companies and the Om Shantidham Gurukulam.
Through an initiative by Gujarat University's Department of Sanskrit, around 150 Sanskrit teachers from different colleges in Gujarat gathered in July 2012 to add materials to the Sanskrit Wikipedia through a two-day-long workshop held titled Sanskrit Wikipedia — Introduction and Expectations.
List of Wikipedias by article count
- ^Meta contributors (August 6, 2011). "Wikimedia News". Meta, discussion about Wikimedia projects. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- ^Wikipedia contributors (August 11, 2011). "Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2011-08-08/News and notes". Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- ^Meta contributors (May 20, 2011). "Tell us about Sanskrit Wikipedia". Meta, discussion about Wikimedia projects. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- ^Meta contributors (August 28, 2016). "List of Wikipedias". Meta, discussion about Wikimedia projects. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- ^The Times of India: Sanskrit makes a comeback, thanks to Wikipedia community
- ^The Mother India: Exploring Sanskrit Bharati’s Sanskrit Wikipedia
- ^Wikipedia Contributors (June 1, 2004). "Main Page". Wikipedia. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- ^Wikipedia Contributors (July 9, 2004). "दमन दीव" [Daman Diu] (in Sanskrit). Wikipedia. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- ^Wikipedia Contributors (June 14, 2011). "Wikipedia:Milestones 2004". Wikipedia. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- ^Wikipedia Contributors (June 7, 2010). "Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2005-08-22/News and notes". Wikipedia. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- ^DNA India - Sanskrit Wikipedia in the offing: Gujarat teachers planning details
Сьюзан на какое-то время забыла про Хейла. Она молила Бога, чтобы Стратмору звонил Дэвид. Скажи мне скорей, что с ним все в порядке, - думала. - Скажи, что он нашел кольцо. Но коммандер поймал ее взгляд и нахмурился.