A List of Effective Topics for Your Next Definition Essay
A definition essay is one of the easiest kinds of writing assignments that you might be given. To write a good definition essay, you should be able to explain the meaning of a word, phrase, or concept. It is similar to what you do when tell your friend about a concept that you have studied in class recently. However, it is harder to do the same in writing, therefore you should select a topic keeping in mind that you will have to write about a chosen term or concept. Generally, it is easier to write about real word concepts compared to abstract ones.
It is recommended to choose a topic that you are interested in. The list below contains various topics; you can choose the one that you want to focus your writing on.
- A good or bad supervisor
- Cancerogenic substance
- Capillary tension
- Common sense
- Foreign molecule
- Healthy lifestyle
- Optimism or pessimism
- Peer pressure
- Personal freedom
- Personal responsibility
- Phenomenon of convergence or divergence
- Right of property
- Right to vote
- Sense of home
- Surface tension
- The meaning of love
- The term ‘phase’ as it relates to heterogeneous mixtures
- Tricarbonic acid cycle
If you want to write an effective definition essay, you should remember the following details:
- Do not try to seem smarter than you actually are. Your explanation should represent an academic level you are writing at. Though you can use scholarly articles and outstanding date from the world leading labs, it is better to keep it simple.
- Make sure that you state in your introduction what term or concept you are going to explain next; do not confuse the readers.
- Take your time and choose clear and relevant information to develop your topic. You should pick reliable sources and provide chosen details in a logical manner.
- Consider your audience and use materials that the readers will understand. Your essay should help the readers learn more and find out some interesting facts about the subject.
- Create a clear essay structure. To do so, you should write an outline first, talk to your supervisor, and then start writing your text. You will save your time when you cite while you are writing.
Many students look at definition essays as being an 'easy' way of getting a grade. It may look simple, but writing a good definition is more than just writing description. Use this guide to get the most out of your essay and get the highest grades possible.
Table Of Contents
- What is Definition Essay?
- Definition Essay Structure
- How to Write Definition Essay
- Definition Essay Topics
- Definition Essay Examples
What is Definition Essay?
A definition essay is an essay that gives the reader a detailed definition of a term or idea. A good essay will be well researched, and draw on relevant evidence and examples in order to define something properly. They can often be used to define something abstract, such as the idea of 'freedom'.
Definition Essay Structure
Each essay will differ depending on the topic, but they'll usually follow the same basic outline:
- Introduction: This is where you introduce the topic you're defining. You'll usually start with the dictionary definition, in order to give yourself a starting point.
- Thesis definition: Here's where you'll give a more nuanced definition, based on your understanding and research.
- Main body: Each paragraph will deal with a different aspect of defining the term. You can start with a paragraph detailing the history and origin of the topic, move onto a full dictionary definition and usage, and then finally create your own personal definition, based on what you have learned.
- Conclusion: This will draw all your main points together, without introducing anything new.
How to Write Definition Essay
- Choose the term you want to define. This may be given to you, or you'll need to choose it for yourself. Make sure you pick a term that you can easily research around.
- Do your research. The best way to start is to look up several different definitions of the term, and see how it's usually used. Then, you can start reading more widely to expand on your knowledge.
- Write an outline, like the one above. This will give you the roadmap to your essay, and make it a lot easier to write.
- Sit down and write. Choose somewhere quiet and free of distractions, in order to get the most out of your writing time.
- Proofread and edit your essay once it's done. Make sure there're no errors lurking in your text that could affect your final grade.
Definition Essay Topics
As noted earlier, topics for these kinds of essays are usually an abstract idea or theory. You could be given a topic such as 'Love' or 'Laziness' to define. These are broad enough in scope that you can interpret them as you see fit, as long as you have the evidence to back it up.
Definition Essay Examples
It's a good idea to practice writing definition essays. Here're few topics that you can try yourself:
- A good marriage
- Good and evil
Practice these, and see how you handle them. When it comes to the real thing, you'll be ready.
With this guide, you can now write an excellent definition essay. Remember to do your research, and give yourself enough time to finish the task.